Sunday 17 October 2010

Busy Times!

G'Morning!

Recently I feel that I have been cheating on this blog, a sudden increase in workload and increase in activity outside my online life has rendered this blog a second thought. Well this morning I have found a spare half hour to catch everyone up on my recent escapades!

To start, good news!
I teamed up with Sean Edwick a few weeks back to create a new game with the brief outlining to aim at key stage 1 children and to make it educational. This meant scouring the curriculum to find something that'd make an interesting game.
We settled on Science and in particular Circuitry.
Fresh in mind was Bioshock. The game has a 'hacking' system which uses a 'Pipe Dream' style of game play to move onto the next section. Using this idea I thought we could do something with this segment of the curriculum.



Bioshock hacking screen

The good part of this news is that our game has now gone to the second stage in development [or second stage in this process]
With a team of 5 of us we are now working on graphical interface and other aspects to get the game fully on its way.



So that is one revelation that has affected how much sleep I'm getting (the increase in work is very detrimental to sleep as it turns out)

In another module, 'Playtech', [the gambling games company I did work experience with in 2006...ish] came in to set the first years a task to re-skin or re-design one of their games.


With our initial pitches last week, I mocked up my idea for a Mario style re-design. Without knowledge of the actual restrictions in flash I created a game concept that would be interesting to all fans of games. [The re-design could then be re-designed to a skin for another game for example]



So all in all I have a lot of work to do...

I'm not even going to get started on how bad I am at coding!
I did however get a simple game of Pong set up. Granted you cant win, nor does the ball reset but its pong enough for me =)


I have to say I'm really enjoying this Uni malarkey, so far each task set has been interesting and fresh.
Even the reading is fun!

Ross, Out.

1 comment:

  1. "Even"? Surely that's the best bit?! There can't be many things that're better than those times when you're actually *supposed* to be laying around with your face buried in a book!

    ReplyDelete