Sunday 3 October 2010

Odds and Ends


Gaming appears in many forms, from online and console to board and gambling. Now I would never consider myself to be addicted to gambling although I do enjoy the occasional dabble in profits.
Most recently the girlfriend (now known as Amy) and I visited the local Arcades with 70p each in pocket. Under the guise that we would compete to generate the most profit, we found the most interesting game in the arcade. We settled on a Pac-Man machine as seen below.
Who doesn't love Pac-Man?
(Insert coins in bottom left and right slot, coin push more coin out. Simple)
Taking a slot each we input coins 'strategically' to win the bonus' available to maximise our profits.
Now the only reason I seemed to think this was worth blogging is that although the odds are against us, we made a profit. We both walked away with £1 in pocket. Granted this is not a drastic increase but a 60pprofit is still profit.

Now the game play is simple enough, the coin input is used to push more coins over the edge and into the winning tray. The addition of bonuses available through the use of a primitive flash game; whereby if a coin lands in a square the on screen game is played. If won more coins are added. This maximises the amount of interaction from the player and gives the impression of better odds to keep the player gambling. To add another sense of interactivity, competition between Amy and I meant that although we pooled our money eventually, we were still battling to gain the most.
With this simple goal of making money, Amy and I were hooked. Using our 70p in a quick flurry of coin throws, all of our winnings were left until the end when a final count took place, revealing our win.

Such a simple gambling game where all odds are set against the player, however we achieved such successful results. For an Arcade machine I believe that in terms of interactivity and actual game play, I would return to play again (if only to lose my £1 profit)
 Yes, that is a winners receipt

I am a Winner =D

Ross, Out.

1 comment: