Thursday 21 October 2010

My true home....

This weekend has been a busy one for me, so much to think about and so little that I understand!

To start on Friday Sean and I built a race track for a remote control car using nothing but tape and cardboard. A lengthy task however the results were amazing! For a whole days work it seemed a good result. This wasn't for no reason however as the next day there was an event where general public gathered in a fun fair style set up to watch fireworks and pay to play the side shows in aid of the scouting movement in which I am a part of.


So the Friday evening I packed my equipment readying myself to go on camp in freezing temperatures. 3-5 layers were obtained and I was on my way to Hallowtree, I was going to where I consider, home. Or at least my home from home.
Camping has always been a joy of mine, be it the fire or the back to basics style of life, there is nothing better than sitting by a crackling fire at night, beer in hand and all your daily worries forgotten for just that moment while you are at peace.
I could dwell on this however I fear with a lack of technological input this section could become very tedious very quickly however I did find that the extra time away from my computer allowed me to read a few sections from Challenges for Game Designers (Braithwait.B, Boston, MA. 2009) and this weeks reading, 'A formal approach to Games design and Game Research' (Hunicke.R, LeBlanc.M, Zubek.R)

So I was away until Sunday, when I returned home tired and in need of a good wash. This was not however the end of my day. As me and my colleagues at work did so well last year in Mystery shopper results, we were rewarded with a night of 'magical comedy' at the Spa pavilion. Sitting amongst a crowd of young and old were our works crew, the various acts amazed the masses and rounded of a generally calm and relaxed weekend.

Now to return to working on and pitching our game, back in the real world after 2 days of escapism.

So to start, my teams game, Circuitry Absurdity (Which I believe is still a working title) is going extremely well. So far we have multiple concepts in place for characters and game board etc. So we all have an idea of how the game will eventually look and feel. With tweaks in game play mechanics last week we are honing in on how the game will eventually play.
The initial idea was to teach the student how to create circuits and what appliances could be included safely and effectively. With the added aspect of breaking a circuit with a switch.
One of the weeks tasks was to change the game concept into a working board game and with a high success rate we created a game for 2 to four players where going head to head to strategically out wit your opponent adds the extra aspect of competition to the game. We then made a decision that the board games actual game play could be ported to our final version of the game on flash.
We are still discovering and exploring how our game can become a reality and with the prospect of adding project managers in the coming week to help push our ideas, this reality is getting closer.

Another aspect of this course (along with many others) is the use of bibliographies in our essays and work
In the second paragraph are two texts that I mention however I don't think I have referenced them right mid sentence and will probably need to refine my skills in this respect.

Otherwise this is the end of a hectic weekend. Its been a good one.

Ross, Out.

2 comments:

  1. very productive, is it as much fun as scaletrix?

    ReplyDelete
  2. > I don't think I have referenced them right
    > mid sentence and will probably need to refine
    > my skills in this respect.

    That's correct. If you need a refresher, have a look at the material from last week's session again and have a go at the bibliography game. Post your six-item bibliography as its own entry (that way it'll be easy to find).

    ReplyDelete